Distinguished clinician, author and addictions expert Robert Weiss, LCSW, CSAT-S, will speak at the Lesbian and Gay Psychotherapy Association’s 19th annual LGBTIQ conference Nov. 16 at Antioch University Los Angeles.
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) Oct. 14, 2014 – The Lesbian and Gay Psychotherapy Association of Southern California is presenting its 19th annual LGBTIQ conference Nov. 16 at Antioch University Los Angeles. The one-day conference will feature a host of noted clinicians in the LGBTIQ psychotherapy community, including Robert Weiss, LCSW, CSAT-S, founding director of the Sexual Recovery Institute and senior vice president of clinical development for Promises Behavioral Health. Weiss will present the keynote speech, “From ‘Gay Marriage?’ to ‘Gay Marriage!’” as well as “Sex Addiction 101– Understanding the Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment of Sex, Porn and ‘Love’ Addiction in the Digital Age.”
An international expert on sexual addiction, Weiss is noted for pioneering highly successful treatment centers for intimacy and sexual disorders at facilities such as The Sexual Recovery Institute in Los Angeles, the Center for Relationship and Sexual Recovery at The Ranch in Nunnelly, Tennessee, and at Right Step in Dallas, Texas.
“We’re proud and honored to have our founding director and our clinicians be invited to speak at this important conference during this critical period of rapid, positive change in the gay community,” said Sexual Recovery Institute Program Director Monica Blauner, LCSW, CSAT. The Sexual Recovery Institute has been serving members of the LGBTIQ community and their partners for nearly two decades.
Presenters and workshops include:
- Joni Ogle, LCSW, CSAT, director of the young adult treatment program at Promises Treatment Centers, will present “Love, Sex and Attachment Among the LGBT Young Adult Population.”
- Joseph Verrone, LCSW, and Marty Simpson, LMFT, CSAT, of The Sexual Recovery Institute, will conduct a workshop titled “Sexual Addiction in Gay Men: Caught in the Cycle.”
- Lawrence Hedges, PhD, PsyD, ABPP, director of the Listening Perspectives Study Center in Orange, Calif., will present “Sexual Pleasure in Light of Intersubjectivity, Neuroscience, Infant Research, Relational Psychoanalysis and Recognition Theory.”
- Price Marshall, LMFT, and Christine Logan, LMFT, both psychotherapists in private practice, will co-present “Transference/Countertransference: The Dilemma of the Gay/Lesbian Therapist to Self-Reveal to a Client Who Assumes They are Straight.”
- Martin McCombs, PhD, a psychologist/clinical sexologist in private practice will present “Battered Libidos: Contemporary Sex Therapy Concepts, Interventions & Techniques for the Doubly-Oppressed in a Sex-Negative Culture” and “I Bury My Heart in the Wounding Decades: Is there a Gay Male HIV Survivors Syndrome?”
- Adam Metcalf, LISW, lead behavioral health therapist at UNM Truman Health Services in Albuquerque, NM, will explore the topic “Suicidal Ideation in LGBT Populations: Finding Hope.”
- Bill Ferguson, a professional family law mediator, will discuss “The Gay Divorce Mediation: What a Therapist Needs to Know to Help Their Clients Navigate This New Concept.”
- Yisraela Hayman, MA, LMFT, a certified sex therapist and life coach in private practice, will discuss “LGBTQ Orthodox and Ex-Orthodox Jews – Oy vey – How Do I Work with This Population?”
- Andrew Oldershaw, a member of the West Hollywood Human Services Commission and former co-chair of the city’s lesbian and gay advisory board, will discuss “Gay Male #Selfie Phenomenon: Utilizing Clients’ Social Media as Psychological Ingredients to Symptomology & Diagnostic Criteria.”
The conference is co-sponsored by Antioch University Los Angeles, the Sexual Recovery Institute, The Trevor Project, PFLAG and Promises Behavioral Health. The registration fee includes breakfast, lunch and parking. Attendees can earn up to 6 CE credits. For more information or to register, go to www.lagpa.com.
The Lesbian and Gay Psychotherapy Association of Southern California, Inc., was established in 1992 as an organization of mental health professionals interested in the psychological well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and/or questioning individuals. It is an accredited provider of continuing education for psychologists, licensed clinical social workers and marriage and family therapists.
About the Keynote Speaker
Robert Weiss is widely considered one of the nation’s foremost experts on sex and technology addictions along with the intimacy disorders that often underlie these problems. A media expert to CNN, The Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, The Oprah Winfrey Network, ESPN, The New York Times, USA Today, NBC News and the Today Show, among others, Mr. Weiss also has provided clinical training and program development for the National Institutes of Health, the U.S. military, and behavioral treatment centers throughout the United States, Europe and Asia.
About The Sexual Recovery Institute
The Sexual Recovery Institute is the nation’s premier outpatient program for men and women struggling with relationship, love and sex addiction. Based in Los Angeles, California, the institute offers confidential, affordable and gender-specific programs that encourage healthy sexuality and intimacy, including two-week intensives and individual, group and couples treatment. For more information about The Sexual Recovery Institute, call (855) 893-5987 or visit www.sexualrecovery.com.
The Sexual Recovery Institute is a member of Promises Behavioral Health, a family of behavioral health care programs that also includes Promises Treatment Centers, The Ranch, Right Step, Journey Healing Centers, The Sundance Center, Lucida Treatment Center, Clarity Way, COPAC and The Recovery Place. Elements offers comprehensive, innovative treatment for substance abuse, sexual addiction, trauma, eating disorders and other mental health disorders. We are committed to delivering clinically sophisticated treatment that promotes permanent lifestyle change, not only for the patient but for the entire family system. For more information about Promises Behavioral Health, visit elementsbh4.wpengine.com.