“The Art of Healing: Celebrating the Journey Back to Self, One Brush Stroke at a Time” benefits two recovery homes, Miriam’s House and Maria’s Shelter.
Chicago, IL (PRWEB) October 7, 2014 – Promises Behavioral Health, in creative collaboration with Chicago Epic Art Design and PS Art Projects, is pleased to sponsor “The Art of Healing: Celebrating the Journey Back to Self, One Brush Stroke at a Time” on Friday, October 24, 2014. The event, which also includes a silent auction, takes place from 6-9 p.m. at Loft on Lake, 1366 W. Lake Street in Chicago.
The free evening of music and hors d’oeuvres and the spirit of community, fellowship and celebration will benefit two very worthy recovery homes, Miriam’s House and Maria’s Shelter.
Miriam’s House, a 15-bedroom converted convent in Los Angeles is dedicated to providing low-income women and their children a safe, sober and secure environment during a yearlong healing process. Miriam’s House is fully funded by private donations.
Maria’s Shelter, a 50-bed interim shelter in Chicago’s Englewood community, provides food, shelter, and programs to promote health and welfare for more than 230 homeless women and their children each year. The shelter is maintained by The Institute of Women Today.
“We are very excited to present this evening of collaboration, which is helping to bring together the recovery community through art,” says Terri O’Connor, senior director of clinical outreach for Promises Behavioral Health. “This first-of-its-kind for Elements fundraising event supports the recovery community in the Chicago area, as well as Miriam’s House. We are working with both therapists and the local recovery community to celebrate the role of art in healing lives.”
The Art of Healing event features local professional artists who have donated some of their works of art for auction. There will also be other art available that has been created and donated by the recovery community, local therapists and treatment programs that incorporate art into their lives and practices.
Featured artists include:
- Tom Rossiter – A registered architect and a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects, Tom Rossiter recently photographed the book, “Building Ideas, An Architectural Guide to the University of Chicago.” Rossiter is a storyteller with images and video, always trying to say something about the importance of the work.
- Bryan Sperry – A Chicago-based artist, sculptor Bryan Sperry attended the School of the Art Institute and was an original founder and enthusiast of Pilsen Art Nation. Sperry likes bold colors and unusual treasures in his sculptures that make people walk away feeling better, different or more alive.
- Nicole Beck – Large-scale public sculptures created by Nicole Beck are in public art collections nationwide. In Chicago, her work is displayed on the DeVry University campus, the business corridors of WestTown Chicago Avenue and Clark Street in Lincoln Park, and LakeView at Shell Park. The beauty and rhythms of her work emanate from a holistic approach to art, nature and science.
- Pamela Staker – An abstract painter, Chicago-based Pamela Staker of PS Art Projects has works represented in numerous private and public collections. Her art is spontaneous and energetic, exploring abstraction and experimenting with bold hues, intense color combinations and gestural mark-making.
- Willie Kohler – Willie Kohler creates art from what he sees around him. Moving to New York in fall 2011, Kohler made a conscious choice to transition from painting to creating contemporary art.
To register, visit the Promises Behavioral Health events page. To register or donate by phone, or for more information about the silent auction, call (866) 825-1104. To donate art or participate as a volunteer, contact Terri O’Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Promises Behavioral Health
Promises Behavioral Health is a family of behavioral health care programs that includes Promises Treatment Centers, The Ranch, The Sexual Recovery Institute, The Recovery Place, Lucida Treatment Center, Right Step, Journey Healing Centers, The Sundance Center, Clarity Way and COPAC. Elements offers comprehensive, innovative treatment for substance abuse, sexual addiction, trauma, eating disorders, compulsive gambling and other mental health disorders. We are committed to delivering clinically sophisticated treatment that promotes permanent lifestyle change, not only for the patient but for the entire family system. For more information about Promises Behavioral Health, visit elementsbh4.wpengine.com.
About Chicago Epic Design
Jeannine Bogart and Andy Favakeh head Chicago Epic Design, specializing in both residential and corporate interiors. The two women have focused much of their corporate business on Chicago-area treatment and recovery facilities. Understanding the clientele and knowing that treatment can be physically and emotionally challenging, Chicago Epic Design creates spaces that positively affect the body and soul. For more information, visit www.chicagoepicdesign.com.
About PS Art Projects
Pamela Staker is PS Art Projects. A Chicago-based artist with a concentration in large-scale abstract paintings, mixed-media works on paper, and commissioned artworks, she also moonlights as a curator and art advisor, helping corporate clients and private individuals build meaningful art collections. For more information, visit www.pamelastaker.com.