Promises Behavioral Health clinical experts will discuss trauma, addiction and related disorders in a series of clinical symposia to be held in Denver (Sept. 18-20), Atlanta (Oct. 9-12) and Scottsdale (Oct. 31-Nov. 1). Co-hosted by Promises Treatment Centers and produced by the Ben Franklin Institute, the events will feature renowned physician and nutrition scientist Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP; sexual addiction expert and tech/sex/relationship author Robert Weiss, LCSW, CSAT-S; and psychologist and distinguished trauma specialist Christine Courtois, PhD, ABPP.
Denver, CO., Atlanta, GA., Scottsdale, AZ. (PRWEB) September 11, 2014 – Three internationally recognized addiction and mental health experts will speak at conferences this fall that are co-hosted by Promises Treatment Centers and produced by the Ben Franklin Institute:
- “Young Adult Conference: Failure to Launch,” in Denver, Sept. 18-20;
- “Brain Matters: Mindfulness, Trauma and Process Addictions,” in Atlanta, Oct. 9-12; and
- “Freud Meets Buddha: Trauma, Mindfulness and Mid-Life Transitions,” in Scottsdale, Oct. 31-Nov. 1.
Dr. Pamela Peeke, senior science adviser for Promises Behavioral Health, will present new research in the areas of nutrition, addiction and epigenetics. “We’ll explore ground-breaking research in a number of areas, including the trauma-food-addiction triad, how food, thoughts, behavior and environment can influence gene expression, and how toxic shame can fuel disordered eating,” Dr. Peeke says. “We’ll also look at ways to translate these concepts into holistic, integrative treatment plans.”
Dr. Christine Courtois, national clinical trauma consultant for Promises Behavioral Health and Promises Malibu, will present information on complex developmental trauma and her sequenced, relationship-based treatment model for addressing it. “The treatment of complex trauma is uniquely challenging,” she says. “We’ll look at how it results in a host of aftereffects, including spiritual challenges and addictions. We’ll review treatment strategies for the concurrent treatment of addictions and other aftereffects and explore how the dynamics of the therapeutic relationship impact both client and therapist.”
Robert Weiss, LCSW, CSAT-S, an international expert in sexual addiction and senior vice president of clinical development for Promises Behavioral Health, will look at the rapidly evolving world of digital technology and how online porn and virtual sexuality are affecting social engagement. “With alarming frequency, we’re seeing addictive online sexual activity exacting a huge toll in terms of lost jobs and relationships,” Weiss says. “We’ll look at these issues and offer practical solutions for men and women struggling with sex and pornography addictions.”
The agendas are as follows:
Young Adult Conference: Failure to Launch (Denver – Sept. 18-20)
Dr. Pamela Peeke
- “Food for Thought: The Interrelationship Between Disordered Eating and Addiction in Young Adults” (Sept. 18, 10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)
- “Trauma, Food and Addiction: Helping Young Adults Caught in the Triad (Sept. 18, 1:30-3 p.m.)
Dr. Christine Courtois
- “Developmental Issues in Traumatized Young Adults: Implications for Treatment” (Sept. 19, 1:30-3 p.m.)
- “Assessment and Treatment of Non-Suicidal Self-Injury and Suicidality” (Sept. 19, 3:30-5 p.m.)
Brain Matters: Mindfulness, Trauma and Process Addictions (Atlanta – Oct. 9-12)
Dr. Pamela Peeke
- “Slipping into your Genes: How the New Science of Epigenetics Will Reshape your Mind and Body” (Oct. 9, 1:30-3 p.m.)
- “Shame, Blame & Guilt: Solutions for Healing the Triad of Pain” (Oct. 9, 3:30-5 p.m.)
Robert Weiss, LCSW, CSAT-S
- “Closer Together, Further Apart: The Effect of Digital Technology on Relationships, Addiction and Parenting” (Oct. 10, 1:30-3 p.m.)
- Always Turned ON: The Assessment and Treatment of Sexual Addiction in the Digital Age (Oct. 10, 3:30-5 p.m.)
Freud Meets Buddha: Trauma, Mindfulness and Mid-Life Transitions (Scottsdale – Oct. 31-Nov. 1)
Dr. Pamela Peeke
- “Slipping into your Genes: How the New Science of Epigenetics will Reshape your Mind and Body” (Oct. 31, 8:30-10:15 a.m.)
- “Unraveling the Mysteries and Marvels of the Mid-Life Transition” (Oct. 31, 10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)
Dr. Christine Courtois
- “Healing from Trauma: from ‘Survival/Hyper Aroused Brain’ to ‘Learning/Mindful Brain’” (Nov.1, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.)
- “Trauma-Informed Care: What it is and What it Means” (Nov. 1, 3:15-4:45 p.m.)
Attendees may earn up to 18 CE credits. For more information or to register, visit the BFI website. To learn about speaking engagements hosted by Promises Behavioral Health and its family of treatment programs, visit the events page.
About Robert Weiss
Robert Weiss is widely considered one of the nation’s foremost experts on sex and technology addictions along with the intimacy disorders that often underlie these problems. A media expert to CNN, The Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, The Oprah Winfrey Network, ESPN, The New York Times, USA Today, NBC News and the Today Show, among others, Mr. Weiss also has provided clinical training and program development for the National Institutes of Health, the U.S. military, and behavioral treatment centers throughout the United States, Europe and Asia.
About Dr. Courtois
Dr. Christine Courtois is a leading authority in the treatment of trauma, having worked in this area for over 35 years. She is a board certified counseling psychologist who has directed the development of practice guidelines for the treatment of complex trauma for three professional organizations and has been appointed chair of the American Psychological Association’s Guideline Development Panel for post-traumatic stress disorder. Dr. Courtois has written or co-edited eight books on healing from incest, child sexual abuse, complex traumatic stress disorders and other types of trauma, including the soon-to-be-published Spiritually-Oriented Treatment for Trauma. As national clinical trauma consultant for Elements and Promises, she has developed integrated trauma-informed addiction treatment programs to promote sustainable recovery.
About Dr. Peeke
Dr. Pamela Peeke is a Pew Foundation Scholar in nutrition and metabolism, assistant professor of medicine at the University of Maryland, and Fellow of the American College of Physicians and Sports Medicine. A multimedia medical expert, Dr. Peeke is the chief lifestyle expert for WebMD, chief nutrition and fitness correspondent for Discovery Health TV, a popular TED conference presenter, host of the HER radio show on RadioMD and iHeart, and is a regular in-studio expert for the national networks. Her most recent New York Times bestseller is The Hunger Fix: The Three-Stage Detox and Recovery Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction. As senior science adviser for Promises Behavioral Health, she has created integrative nutrition and holistic lifestyle programs at the Malibu Vista women’s mental health center and Lucida Treatment Center, located in West Palm Beach, Florida.
About Promises Behavioral Health
Promises Behavioral Health is a family of behavioral health care programs that includes Promises Treatment Centers, The Ranch, The Recovery Place, Lucida Treatment Center, Clarity Way, Journey Healing Centers, The Sundance Center, the Sexual Recovery Institute and Right Step. Elements offers comprehensive, innovative treatment for substance abuse, sexual addiction, trauma, eating disorders and other mental health disorders. We are committed to delivering clinically sophisticated treatment that promotes permanent lifestyle change, not only for the patient but for the entire family system. For more information about Promises Behavioral Health, visit elementsbh4.wpengine.com.